Sunday, August 2, 2009

Day 7: A little piece of happy

Through out my life all I wanted was to be happy. I tried to be in the group of friends that would make me happy. After high school, I tried to go to school, work and volunteer to see what I wanted to do with my life. I tried to do things that I thought would make me happy. Some things made me happy for the moment or for a short period of time.

In the past year I have realized that finding happiness is a journey. It is not about having material things. I drive a car that is 10 years old. If I drove a newer better car, that will make me happy temporarily. I lived in an apartment in the West End with a beautiful view. Did that make me happy? Yes, it did....temporarily. I went to watch the Dalai Lama when he came to speak about happiness. Was I happy after that? Only temporarily.

My journey lead me to realize that being happy is within yourself. If my car, my suite, my clothes, my furniture was all taken away, I would want to be happy. First thing I focused on was being grateful. I was grateful for what I already have. I am grateful for having a great family and an extended family. I am grateful for my health. I don't have many health problems (knock on wood). Second thing is to 'live in the now'. Enjoy the present moment. I have to stop and enjoy the flowers. I have to enjoy the journey of whereever I'm going instead of rushing to get there. I may meet someone or do something that will effect my life in the future. The third thing is creating my bucket list. My bucket list challenges my abilities physically and emotionally. When I have completed an item on my list, I have a sense of accomplishment. How I grow as a person as I accomplish my bucket list can not be taken away from me.

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree - being grateful and collecting "moments" are key to happiness!

    What're some items on your list Lisa and how many have you got? Post them as you check them off! I'm curious...

    ReplyDelete