Thursday, August 20, 2009

Day 25: No more 'what if?'

Life is about taking risks. There are risks that make you really uncomfortable ('high risk'). There are really 'safe' risks. Which would you rather take? For me, it depends on what it is. But the safer risks are 'safer' and more stable. You know the outcome to it. The 'high risk' activity has an unpredictable outcome and a greater level of fear. Fear is something I want to overcome. The conservative side of me would be taking the safer risks. BUT then I think about 'what if I took the high risk route?'

I have some mutual funds. I think they are distributed evenly with the safe risk and high risk funds. I can control my life more than I can control my mutual funds. There are too many variables that effect the outcome of my mutual fund. With my life, I control which direction to go. I don't want to live my life thinking 'what if...?'

During high school a new guy transferred into my school. He was in one of my classes. He was so cute (at least at that time I thought he was). I don't think I talked to him much. I was too shy. But I thought 'what if I talked to him?' Maybe we would've developed more of a friendship and maybe we would even end up dating..who knows?

I went skydiving in 1998. The conservative side in me would've wanted me to stay home. I would be warm and safe in my house. Skydiving was one of the things I wanted to do before I die. (At that time I didn't have a bucket list) I was thinking: what if the plane crashed on the way up? what if the cord didn't come out at the right time? what if i break a bone when I land? So many 'what if' questions. The only way for me to find out was to jump out of that plane and experience it myself.

I don't want to encounter the 'what if' situation anymore. I don't want to think about the endless possibilities.I will not let fear take over. Life is too short to be taking the 'safe' route all the time. The safest route I can take in my life is to go to work, go home, have dinner, watch tv, write on my blog and sleep. Sounds pretty boring to me. Then I would be at home thinking 'what if I went out and met the guy of my dreams?' or 'what if I went out and encountered someone who will change my life forever?' .......... No more 'what if...'

No comments:

Post a Comment