Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Day 16: Friendships

Friendships are about sharing and caring. I know that is REALLY corny but I think it is true. It is about sharing your thoughts and feelings. It is about experiencing 'moments' together. A true friend will be there for you no matter what thru thick and thin.

What is my definition of a true friend?
Someone who respects me for who I am
Someone who has some similar interests
Someone who won't let their significant other get in the way of our friendship
Someone who isn't using me to get to one of my friends
Someone who is willing to share and communicate their ideas, thoughts, feelings and experiences with me
Even as the years pass, as the seasons change and our personalities change, we are still friends for years to come

I have a friend who I have been friends with for 19 years. We have been friends through my many boyfriends and his many girlfriends. Even through various phone number changes for both of us, we still managed to keep in contact. What keeps a friendship last for 19 years? (I make it sound so long. I have been friends with him for 2/3 of my life. I think that is a long time.) I think it is about communication and being there for each other. When he is down and needs someone to talk to, I will be his shoulder to lean on. When I have relationship problems, I can call him. But these days it is more difficult to talk to him because he is married. He will try to talk to me whenever he can.

These days with my positive outlook on life and my bucket list I try to find friends who also have a positive outlook on life. If I find someone who has negative energy, I try to stay away. It will only harm me and bring me down. It took me a long time to get to where I am in my life and I don't need anyone taking that away. It makes me happy when I get my friends thinking about what they want to do on their unofficial bucket list (not written down, but thought about it). I am more than happy to join them in accomplishing their bucket list. I hope they enjoy helping me accomplish my list too!

No comments:

Post a Comment