Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Day 98: My views on when one should end a friendship

There was only one time when someone actually had a talk with me to break up our friendship. This happened in 1997. We walked to the park by my house. He told me he didn't want to be friends anymore. I was really confused. No one has ever done that to me before. Is there an etiquette with friendships that I didn't know about? I think what happened was that he liked me more than a friend. I only liked him as a friend. I guess he didn't only want to be friends. It was either a relationship or nothing. No one has given me that talk since then. We didn't talk for 11 years. It was last summer that I saw him again and we reconnected. I guess time heals all wounds.

I think you should end a friendship when someone betrays you, stabs you in the back or does something evil to you. I think the easiest way is to not talk to them anymore. People grow apart. They may just think that you are growing apart. Do you really want to waste your time to tell them that you don't want to be friends anymore? Will they understand? Will they care? If it gets to the point where you don't want to be friends with them anymore, they are not worth your time. Your time is precious. Spend it with people who make a difference in your life or want your friendship.

Sometimes I feel like I am putting in more effort to be someones friend. I try to connect with them via FB, email or phone. They are always 'too busy' to return my calls and emails. If I never get a response, I get the hint that they don't want to be friends. Then I can focus my energy on my other friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment