Monday, November 2, 2009

Day 85: My first writing class

I was very excited to attend my first writing class. I didn't know what to expect. It is held at Bonsor Community Complex in an art room. My teacher is a very young black lady. She is very passionate about writing. There are only 7 students in the class, including myself. Two of them have taken other courses with this teacher previously. Three of them are currently writers. One guy has written 3 novels. The idea for this class is to get you into writing. She gives us various exercise to write. After we finish writing, we can share our stories. There are no right or wrong answers. This class provides a safe and supportive environment for writers / would be writers. One of the exercises is 10 minute writing. Each of us had to write three ideas / topics and write it on a piece of paper. She then put all the ideas in a bag. Shook it up. Then she picked one topic. We can write anything we want about that topic. We can write a story, a poem or a song. She gave us 10 mins to write. I am used to typing. I type faster than I write. In 10 minutes, I can't write vey much because my hands aren't used to writing with a pen and paper.

To whoever reads this post, I would like you to help me with my writing. You can suggest topics about anything (PG 13 rated). Then I will write my next post on that topic. I will do what I did in class. I will just write and not worry about grammar or editing it. I will try to make a 15 minute assignment.

1 comment:

  1. 1) You and I seem to share a passion of writing about food. What is your favorite restaurant/cafe in Vancouver that nobody has probably heard of and why?

    2) How much does the media manipulate how we as a culture think about someone? Like even though David Letterman should be the bad guy but quite the opposite has happened. Even Andre Agassi. Know what I mean?

    OK hope that helps.

    ReplyDelete