Thursday, November 26, 2009

Day 106: The commercialization of holidays

The commercialization of holidays. Does birthdays count as a holiday? Why do we give someone a birthday present when it is their birthday? I'm not sure if it is Chinese or Vietnamese culture, when it is your birthday, you have to treat your friends to a meal or a drink. Doesn't it cancel each other out if they give me a present and I treat them to a meal?

When I came to Canada I didn't know what Christmas was about. We went to our relatives house every Christmas and they distributed presents. It was in school that I learned about Christmas. I don't think my parents know the origins of Christmas. I think they only know the 'commercialization' of it. They know it as a time to give presents to us. As time goes on, they don't know what to give us anymore. We don't celebrate Christmas anymore. It is more of an opportunity to get together with family. There are no turkey dinners. My aunt is asking us what we want for our 'Christmas' dinner. We are requesting salad rolls, springs rolls and other Vietnamese / Chinese food.

For some people it is about decorating their place to be festive and into the mood of the occasion. We have Christmas tree ornaments in our garage. We haven't had a Christmas tree for years. I don't really believe in spending so much on decorations for one day. I guess you can leave the decorations there for a week or so. But it would silly for me to leave birthday decorations on for a few weeks till Christmas??..haha..

I think it is about making money. The retailers know it is a time where everyone spends their money. After Halloween, the Christmas decorations come out. They always skip my birthday! I guess more people spend money on Christmas decorations then birthday decorations. The restaurants know that it is a time for large group bookings. They start taking bookings in October.

I think people have high expectations when it comes to special occasions. If you are dating someone, when it comes to Christmas or their birthday, you are expected to give them a gift. If it's Valentine, you are expected to give something lovey dovey. If only you can express your expectations in the relationship, then you don't have to spend so much on each other. Maybe you don't even have to give each other anything!

No comments:

Post a Comment