Sunday, September 27, 2009

Day 58: Integrity

"Integrity is consistency of actions, values, methods, measures, principles, expectations and outcome." - Wikipedia

I admire people who have integrity. It is about doing what you say. In my eyes, actions speak louder than words. Integrity is about keeping my word. If I tell someone I will do something, I will do it. If I can't fulfill my promise, I will let them know. I believe that is the right thing to do. Integrity is similar to consideration and reliability.

My first experience was 12 years ago when I dated this guy who wanted to be a stuntman. I thought 'wow! what an interesting choice of profession!' I didn't know anyone who wanted to become a stuntman. When I met him, he said he wanted to go to school to learn stunts. During the 6 months we were together, he never did anything to pursue becoming a stuntman. It was all talk. He was showing me his lack of integrity. Why did he do that? Maybe to impress me? After that, I know that when guys try to impress me with something I know to not fully believe them. It's all talk to me until they take action.

My latest experience was with my ex. We lived together in an apartment in downtown. My ex and the building manager got along. My ex, a chef, promised the building manager that he would make him jumbo pretzels to give to his girlfriend. We lived there for 6 months. Did he ever make and give the building manager the pretzels? Nope! In the 6 months, he had plenty of time to learn to make the pretzels and give it to the building manager. I don't want to make it seem like I'm analyzing something petty. It is the principle that is in question. If the chef just made the pretzels and gave it to the building manager, then the manager and I would be impressed. But no, he always talked about it and never did anything about it. Needless to say, neither the building manager nor I were impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment