Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 55: Discipline

I never really thought that I was a disciplined person. I quit Chinese school after a few lessons when I was young. My parents never made me go back. I never was in any sports or played any instruments when I was young to teach me any discipline. (I heard that team sports and learning to play instruments teach you discipline.) Now since I am older, I have to teach myself discipline. It is really hard to teach myself. I can get a life coach or something to help guide me. I may look into that soon. I want to see how much discipline I can teach myself first before I hire a life coach. A reason it's hard to discipline myself is that there are so many distractions. My computer and the TV are the biggest culprits. Also it is so easy to say 'I'm too lazy' or 'I don't have time.'

Today after work I went rollerblading by myself again. I went around the seawall by Science World for about 45 minutes. It isn't a long time but it's one step closer to excelling at rollerblading (bucket list #3). The first time I went rollerblading for 45 mins myself I didn't go very far because I wasn't very good at it. The last two times I rollerbladed for a few hours. I have improved because I noticed that I went further this time. I had to discipline myself to go blading today. It was such a beautiful day. I could've easily just chilled out on a bench by Science World and not go blading. I could've said it would've been too much effort to put on my blades. I could've said I was hungry and tired from work. When I started blading, I noticed that I was quite tired from work. I pushed myself to practice. I have to learn to practice in all different situations/scenerios. How else am I going to get better? I have endless excuses. At my age, who else is going to discipline me? If it is something what I want, then I better work at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment