Saturday, September 5, 2009

Day 41: Accomplishments

There are two types of accomplishments: small accomplishments and large accomplishments. Small accomplishments include things like cleaning my room and writing on my blog. Some large accomplishments include finishing my bachelors degree and being a big sister.

Small accomplishments are things / activities that take a short amount of time and make a small difference in my life. Sometimes it can be something routine. I know cleaning my room is something I shouldn't consider, but it's true. When I clean my room, I take the time and effort to make it look and smell good. I can enjoy it and relax.

Large accomplishments are things /activities that are more long term and make a larger impact on my life. Long term could even mean a lifetime of working on the activity. My bachelors degree will take me a long time. But when I finish, hopefully I will feel I large sense of accomplishment. I am not going to school to find a job. I am wanting to finish my bachelors degree because I want to finish what I started. I have started a few diplomas / certificates but never finished them. This time I am determined to finish what I started. I don't want to be known as someone never completing what they started.

I am not a big sister yet. I would think that being a big sister will influence / inspire a younger female to use their abilities to their fullest potential. Hopefully I can commit to a few years and watch my little sister grow to be a better person.

Working on my bucket list gives me a sense of accomplishment. I can cross things off my list knowing that I went thru feelings of doubt and fear to accomplish the activity. Once I cross one item off, it will give me confidence to continue with my list. It's a way to push myself to the limit to see how far I can go. When I donated blood, there were many points when I can leave and not continue with the donation process. I decided that I didn't want to fail at my first item on my bucket list.

Completing the Grouse Grind was an accomplishment for me. It took me 2 hours to complete it. But I don't think its that bad for my first time. It was my first hike. I was already huffing and puffing within the first 10 mins of the grind. My friend said 'lets make it to the 1/4 mark and decide if we want to go back down or go the rest of the way up.' We finally made it to the 1/4 mark. I looked down and it's pretty steep and dangerous going down. I didn't want to go down. I decided to go up and finish what I started. It was challenging physically and mentally. I am so out of shape that my muscles got tired easily. Mentally it was about staying focussed and encouraging myself to go forward. It was a test about mind over matter. If my mind is able to help me focus on something 'little' like this, it will be able to help me with bigger challenges. I took a picture at every 1/4 mark (1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and top). Every 1/4 mark was a milestone to me. It was small accomplishments leading up to a large accomplishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment