Thursday, September 10, 2009

Day 45: Fear

FEAR*

False
Evidence
Appearing
Real

*thanks to Marc (http://www.lifesuccessconsulting.ca/)*

Fear is about creating the worst that can happen in your head. It may be a genetic thing. It may be learned from another family member. Maybe you saw your mother whack the spider that she is scared of. She trained you to be scared of that spider. It may be an incident that happened to you when you were young and you don't want to re-live it anymore. As an adult, you may be more afraid then young kids to do an activity. Young kids have no fear. They think they are invincible. I also think as you get older, because of more experience, you become more fearful.

What are you afraid of? heights? public speaking? water?
I am afraid of heights. I have to get over the fear because I want to go paragliding. I am not sure why I am afraid of heights. I went skydiving in '98 and I went up 10,000 feet to jump down. It was very scary and I screamed. But once I realized that no one can hear me I stopped screaming. Maybe I just have to practice being in high places?

I had a classmate who always was very nervous and her voice cracked and sounded like she was going to break down and cry when it was her turn to present her part of the presentation. I felt so bad for her. Maybe she was just nervous or maybe she really had a fear of public speaking? There are groups like Toastmasters that help you with public speaking. They are very supportive and everyone has the same fear and they want to overcome it together.

I think I may have a fear of water that's why I don't know how to swim. I almost drowned when I was about 2 or 3 in the ocean. My mom saved me. I am trying to overcome the fear of water by being in the pool more. I want to take aquafit classes. I signed up for swimming lessons in October. Hopefully by the end of my swimming lessons, I will have no fear of the water.

No comments:

Post a Comment