Thursday, September 3, 2009

Day 39: Procrastination

One time on MSN someone asked me what I was doing. I said I was busy procrastinating. Procrastination is a word I learned about 10 years ago. It is a word I use very often. I think I procrastinate every day. I know it`s a very bad habit. I get distracted very easily. If I have to do something on my computer, I will be distracted by a new website or something I have to look up.

I realized that I procrastinate because of the following reasons:
- I am not in a rush for anything
- I don`t want to do the assignment or activity
- I`m too lazy
- I make an excuse to not do it

I am not in a rush for anything.
Some days I don`t have anything planned. These are the days I procrastinate the most. I do one thing and that will lead to another. I will go on one site and that will lead me to another. The day can go on and on without me accomplishing any one thing.

I don`t want to do the assignment or activity.
When I was in school, I would procrastinate on doing my homework, especially if it was an assignment from a course that I didn`t like. It would have to be done but it will just take longer than expected.

I`m too lazy.
This is my famous excuse for everything. Some days I just don`t feel like doing anything. I may just feel like vegging out and watching TV (I have to enjoy my TV sometimes too). Sometimes I may pass the buck to someone else. I had a shirt that had to be mended. I asked my dad to do it for me. He said I should learn to do it myself. I said I know how to do it. I am just too lazy to do it myself.

I make an excuse to not do it.
The excuses comes in many forms. It can be `it`s too dark or too sunny or too raining`. It can be because I don`t know how to do it. It can be because I`m waiting for someone else to do their part then I can do my part.

After I procrastinate, I would feel bad later because I would get mad at myself for procrastinating. I would feel like I `wasted`my time. I figured a way to make it work in my life. I should just work in procrastinating time to what I`m doing. For example, when I pay my bills online, it should only take me 5 mins. But I know I`m going to procrastinate when I get online, so my new bill payment time will now be 10 mins. Another way to cut down on my procrastination is to have a piece of paper and pen beside by computer. This way I can write things down that I want to search for at a later day and not have to do it right away. I can also write a list of things I need to get done. I will feel a sense of accomplishment after I cross things off my list. If I didn`t cross anything off my list, I know I have been procrastinating for too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment