Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Day 56: Who's running your life?

I am running my own life. It has taken me many years to get here. I make my own choices with what I do. I have to deal with the consequences if I make bad choices. I am the driver of my car. I take it where I want to go. There are no back seat drivers in my car.

When I was younger, my parents were running my life. They fed and took care of me. They made choices for me because I was too young to make them myself. They decided what I ate, when I ate, where I ate and what I wore.

In my teenage years, I was very easily influenced by my peers. I think I was a follower in high school. If my friend wanted to skip class to go to McDonald's, I would follow. Whatever I think was 'cool clothes or hairstyles', I wanted to emulate it. I don't think I did a good job. I look back at my pictures where I thought I was 'cool' and I was so uncool. I try to hide those pictures as much as possible.

In my 20's, it was about learning and appreciating who I am. I am not emulating anyone. I think also there isn't that regular social circle to easily influence me. I went to school and work at various places. I think that helped. I was exposed to various types of people.

In my 30's (where I still am), I am learning to experience life to the fullest. I have learned that whatever I have done when I was younger, I should not let that effect my life negatively. I should take those experiences and see what I can learn from them. I know I have about 46 years left in my life. Am I going to spend that time being mad at the world and living a life full of regrets? Or do I want to live it to my fullest potential?

I am me. I am running my life. I wear clothes that I like and are comfortable to me. No one is dictating my style in clothing. My outfit I decide on is a reflection on how I am feeling. My hairstyle is low maintenance. I am growing it long to eventually donate it.

No comments:

Post a Comment