Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Day 137: Faith / religion

Am I religious? I wasn't brought up in a religious household. My mom was brought up with Buddhist beliefs. She never really push Buddhism on me when I was growing up. My mom still follows the Chinese calendar and the special occasions and Buddhist special days. They aren't really holidays, they are only days you have to pray to your ancestors or days you should visit your ancestors at their grave sites.

I have a couple of cousins who are deeply religious. They read the Bible every day. They believe in contributing to their church in terms of volunteering their time or money. I went to my cousin's baptism and she made a short speech. It was about how she started going to church. Things were going downhill for her and she thought that church will help her with her situation. She has been going to church ever since. She is very happy about finding religion.

I guess it doesn't matter if it is Buddhism or Christianity or any other type of religion. It is about finding a higher spirit / being that is able to help you with your life. I haven't found that higher spirit for myself yet. I am wanting to learn more about Buddhism to see if it is right for me. I have read many articles on the power of prayer. If I don't believe in a higher power, who I am praying to? In yoga classes, there is a bit of 'prayers' in the beginning and the ending of class. It basically thanking the higher powers for the opportunity to do yoga together.

No comments:

Post a Comment