Monday, January 4, 2010

Day 130: Life's not a fairy tale

My niece loves Disney princesses. She loves watching the movies with the princesses and dressing up like them. She's 7 and all she wants is to be like one of those princesses when she grows up. In the movies, the princess is the damsel in distress and Prince Charming comes to rescue her. Ok in Aladdin, Jasmin is quite smart and Aladdin isn't exactly a Prince Charming but that's not the point...

I don't want to be the one to break the news to her. Life isn't a fairy tale (or maybe it's just my life isnt a fairy tale). My life isn't about running around in pretty dresses and pretending to be a damsel in distress. I don't know how my movie will end. I don' know if my Prince Charming will come and give me the most romantic kiss ever and we will instantly fall in love. Maybe I need to be a damsel in distress for my Prince Charming to come save me. The problem is that everytime someone who thinks they are the next Prince Charming comes along, I don't like them for one reason or another. Sometimes I think I found the next Prince Charming, but he has eyes for another princess. I don't think Disney had in mind how complicated things really are.

No comments:

Post a Comment