Monday, January 11, 2010

Day 135:Being "in the moment"

Being 'in the moment' ties in with stress. If I am stressed out, then it's very hard for me to be in the moment. When I'm doing one thing, my mind is focused on something else, including deadlines. Then I can't enjoy what I am doing.

Maybe it comes with age? Maybe its less stress? Maybe it's less activities? I have learned to slow down with what I do and enjoy what I'm doing. Even when I'm doing nothing and just watching TV, I can just enjoy my time of doing nothing.

I feel 'in the moment' when I am doing yoga. Maybe it's the whole process of the yoga experience? The teacher gets you to relax first and gets you to do some simple stretches. I don't wear a watch in yoga class. I know what time the class starts and ends. In class you have to pay attention to what the teacher is telling you because she is telling you how to do the poses correctly. The teacher also teaches us proper breathing techniques. Maybe because of all these instructions, I don't have time to think about anything else.

I don't know when the feeling comes. Maybe it is something you have to train your brain to do? Now, for me it just comes and when I realize I am 'in the moment' and I should enjoy it. At that moment, nothing matters except what I am doing. I am not in a rush to get anywhere. My mind isn't worrying about anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment