Thursday, October 29, 2009

Day 81: Swimming

I think swimming is a great skill to have. I have been swimming 'illiterate' for many many years. I have finally got the realization that I should learn to swim. It is never too late to learn. I chose to take lessons at Killarney Community Pool because it is affordable, it is close to my house, and it has classes on the nights I am available.

The level 1 class I am in is only 12 classes. The last class is on Thurs, Nov 19. My instructor is a younger asian gal. She does go step by step and watches me to make sure I am doing it right. Everytime she teachs us something new I look at her like she is weird. I have a look like 'you are crazy and I will never be able to do that'. I try to do what she taught us and I manage to learn it. My class is actually a level 1 and level 2 class. She spends some time with the level 1 students then she spends some time with the level 2 students. In my level 1 class, there is only 4 students (including me). In the level two class there are 5 students. There is me, a larger older darker skinned women and 2 middle aged philipino ladies. One lady doesn't show up all the time.

Today she told us to spend some time practicing on our side glides with a float board. The goal for the end of class is to side glide on both sides without a float board. Our lessons are taught in shallow water. We can just stand in the water if we think we are drowning. We had to practise our back float with flipping before our side glides. I went back and forth a few times in the pool and got tired. By the end of the 45 mins of my lessons, I am totally pooped.

When I get home, I can't go to bed right away. I have to wash my bathing suit and my towel. I also finish blow drying my hair. I also take some time to write on my blog before I go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment