Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Day 80: Halloween Cake


I just finished making a halloween cake. It's not the best in the world. But it's the best I can do tonight. I have spent a few hours on it. My hands are tired from kneading the marzipan. I had to knead the color into the marzipan. The cake itself is probably the best I have made. I forgot where I put my cake mix so I made the cake from scratch. It's a chocolate cake with berry filling in the middle. There is a lot of berry filling. I made the cake the other day and froze it. This is only 1/3 of the cake. I may make the other 2/3 of the cake if I have time later this week. I started making the pumpkins first. I dyied the marzipan orange then rolled them into little balls. I have fondant cutters (similar to cookie cutters) in different shapes, sizes and letters. I then cut the little eyes and mouth for pumpkins. After the pumpkins were done, I made the letters. The letters were a challenge. Because they are so small, it is easily ruined. The 'p' cutter was a pain the ass. The marzipan wouldn't come out of the cutter properly. I improvised and used a number instead to make the 'p'. The green background is actually made from two rolled out sheets. Because this is my first time working with marzipan, I should've rolled the sheet into one big sheet instead of cutting it into half. I didn't do a good job of fixing the 'seams'. I just hope my co-work enjoy my hard work and effort.

1 comment: