Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Day 75: Muscle memory?

Does your muscle remember? There is a documentary about Muhammad Ali. They interviewed the boxers that fought with him. They tried to interview them while they were standing up instead of sitting because then the boxers will remember how they fought Ali. Their muscle memory came back to them.

I did take swimming lessons when I was in elementary school because it was part of the curriculum. After they finished teaching a level, they would give you a badge. There are several levels. I have the badges but it doesn't mean I know how to swim. They never tested me on my swimming skills.

I decided that swimming is a good skill to have. I started my swimming lessons last week. The instructor is teaching us step by step how to swim. Each step she taught us, I picked it up fairly quickly. There are other students in the class who are not that comfortable being in the water. The instructor taught us how to float. The other students get scared quickly and want to stand up as soon as possible. I am thinking maybe my muscles remembered how to do it from when I was younger. I just needed someone to coach me along. I have tried learning from a few friends but they don't know how to teach me. They just know how to swim and they just tell me to swim. I just stare at them blankly and think they are crazy. That's why I have decided to register for classes. The instructor can then teach me and guide me.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's GREAT that you're taking swimming lessons. I just met someone else today that is an adult and is taking lessons as well.

    Sometimes we take for granted things that come to us naturally, and we never stop to realize that sometimes things are a challenge to others.

    Way to go, showing everyone on your blog that you're facing a challenge in your life and not just standing idle, but actually doing something about it. You seriously are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete