Friday, October 2, 2009

Day 62: What's my story?

My story is............

It's dot dot dot because I dont have a good story to tell YET. I spent tonight with my parents and my cousins. My cousins are from China. They are here visiting for a month and staying at our place downstairs. They came upstairs for dinner. After dinner we were chatting and they started to share their stories.

My parents are overseas Chinese people who grew up in Vietnam. In the late 70's they were forced to leave Vietnam. We left by boat, as many other Chinese Vietnamese people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boat_people). We finally arrived in Hong Kong. We were placed in a refugee camp for awhile before Canada accepted us. This is the summary version. Every time when my parents get together with someone they haven't seen in a long time for some reason or another they share stories of when they were on the boats leaving Vietnam. There are so many stories because they are from another boat. Different things happen to each boat. Because my cousins lived in China, my parents were telling them some stories of what happened to us on our journey as boat people.

I think it is pretty amazing what my parents have gone through. When my mom was my age she was married and had two kids. They had to leave their country to go to a foreign country. In the foreign country they had to learn the culture, the language and raise two kids. I'm 32 years old now and I don't think I would be able to do what my parents did.

My parents have a great story to tell. I do hope they will have the opportunty to tell my kids their story. What's my story ? I got nothing...for now. Hopefully I do something dramatic or life changing to have a worthy story to tell.

1 comment:

  1. That IS your story! Well....part of it. I had no idea that was how you came to Canada. I though you were born there. That's an amazing story and your parents are very couragous and stong.

    ReplyDelete