Friday, December 18, 2009

Day 118: Who will be at your funeral?

My friend was the first to ask me this question years ago. I met him in high school. At our graduating ceremony, he won all the awards that were associated with academics and sportsmanship (he was a straight A student that played every sport). After high school, eventhough he was busy with work and school, he still managed to spend some time with me. It always seemed like he knew where he was going with his life. Every time we hung out, he always would say something that would motivate me or inspire me to do more with my life. He is the only one that I know of that had companies calling him to ask if he would want to work for them.

He grew up in Vancouver. After high school, he went to a local university for a few years then he moved to Toronto. When he was in Toronto, we communicated by writing to each other and later on, emailing each other. He was a student at Ryerson for a few years then he started teaching there. One of his favourite things to do was to ride his motorcycle. One day when he was riding with a bunch of his friends, tragedy struck. His motorcycle didn't work properly and he passed away. He was only 25 years old.

He had two services: one in Toronto and one in Vancouver. About 300 people came out to say their good byes in Toronto. I went to the one in Vancouver. There was about 300 people there also. I can't believe how many people came out when his service was held on a Wednesday at 10am. That many people had gotten the time off work and / or school to say their last good byes. We asked this question to each other when we were about 19 or 20. I don't think at that time he would ever imagine that many people would attend his funeral. He made an impact on everyone's life that he came across. If he didn't, they wouldn't be at his services. He lived life to the fullest extent never knowing when his last day will be. After his passing, Ryerson and his high school established scholarships bearing his name.

Who will be at my funeral? I am hoping my family for sure. I am hoping I make an impact in people's lives that they would want to attend my funeral.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry to hear of your friend's passing, especially at such a young age. And from what you've wrote, he has a very fine young man who didn't deserve the fate he got.

    ReplyDelete