Friday, April 30, 2010

Day 211: Angel's Cradle

http://www.theprovince.com/health/Abandoned+baby+drop+opened+Vancouver+Paul+Hospital/2968055/story.html

St Paul's Hospital will be providing a safe place for women to drop off their unwanted babies. The mother gives birth to the baby. If they don't want to keep the baby, the can drop the baby off anonymously. The drop off is located beside the emergency door at St Paul's Hospital. The mother can open the small door, drop the baby off and leave. Once the mother closes the small door, an alarm will go on and a nurse will attend to the baby. The baby is then taken care of and passed on to the ministry of children and family development.

I was very shocked when I first read the article in the Province. I saw it on the 6 o clock news. The anchorperson interviewed a doctor at St Paul's hospital. The doctor said that they have mothers who give birth and then leave the hospitals without their babies and it happens once a month. I can't believe that happens. That is horrible to abandon a baby. It is good that the hospital provides a safe place for the babies. I think the hospital realizes there are many woman who abandon their babies so they wanted to provide a safe place for them to leave the baby. Babies have been abandoned in the garbage dump, in the garbage bins, and even at the door step of the hospital. I do realize that not all pregnancies are planned and some are a result of a negative experience. There are many types of contraceptives available. There are also many clinics that will provide contraceptives and counselling. There is also the avenue of a legal adoption process. To abandon a baby is the ultimate last resort.

1 comment:

  1. OMGOSH! Seriously? Wow. I didn't know they had a hospital that did that. I guess it's better than finding one in a dumpster or the street.

    I wish I could adopt them all!

    ReplyDelete