Thursday, April 8, 2010

Day 198: twelveth day in Chicago










The most important thing I wanted to see was Frank Lloyd Wright's Robie House today. It is in the Hyde Park neighbourhood. This is one of his most famous designs. They are in the process of renovating the inside but they still give tours. The presevation society does an excellent job of renovating his houses inside and out. In the dining room there is no furniture. The tour guide told us it is in the Smart Museum, which happens to be a few blocks away.

Off to the Smart Museum I go. I got there and found out it was free to go in. It was a pleasent surprise. One thing I had to do here which I never have done at any other museums is to sign a waiver regarding the art pieces that i photogragh. I was only interested in seeing the Frank Lloyd Wright's dining set and that was the only thing I photographed. It was time for lunch. I found a place called Ribs and Bibs (http://lisa-restaurants.blogspot.com/2010/04/ribs-and-bibs-chicago.html).

At the Robie House they had a map of local attractions. On the map there was Obama's house. After i ate my ribs i asked the lady who worked there if Obama's house is nearby. She said 'yes. You just have to go down to 51st and turn left. It has barracades around it. You cant miss it'. Ok the directions were simple enough i thought. I walked down the street to try to find 51st. I couldnt seem to find 51st. I asked a man walking with his son where 51st is. He said 51st is also known as Hyde Park Rd. Ohhhh ok i didnt know that. He said turn at Hyde Park Road and you cant miss it cause its barracaded and the secret service are there. Well they both were right. I just walked down 51st and saw the barracades with the secret service logo and knew i was there. I was scared to take pictures because the secret service were there. I asked some young guys walking by if it was ok to take pictures. They said Yes as long as its behind the fence. I was taking some pictures and noticed that one secret service agent was walking towards me. I just finished taking my pictures. He just asked how i was and walked by me. When i finished, i took the bus to the nearest train station. At the bus stop i started talking to this older man. He's older with no teeth and kinda sketchy looking but i think he's harmless. I was asking him about what happens when the president is in town.

After viewing the president's house, i was off to see Andersonville. Andersonville is supposed to be a neighbourhood with Swedish roots. There are Swedish specialty shops and the Swedish Museum. It would've been interesting to see. I went from south Chicago to the northern part. From the pamphlet i got (which i left at the hotel), there were just a bunch of shops. I knew most of the businesses would be closed when i got there but i just wanted to see the neighbourbood.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone


No comments:

Post a Comment