Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Day 196: tenth day in Chicago





Today I decided to venture into a suburb. I went to Oak Park. I got the pamphlet a few days ago and there were a few things that interest me. It is about a 20-30 min train ride on the green line to the end.

My first destination was the house of Frank Lloyd Wright. He is the most notable architect of the 20th century. It is the house he lived in his first few years of his architecture career. There is a walking tour of his house. There is also a walking tour of houses he designed in the neighbourhood. There are about 15 of them (one is a church). The picture above is one of his earlier houses.

By this time it was about 3 pm and i didnt eat yet. I felt like something comforting and hardy. I found a diner that served what i was looking for. It was called The Cozy Corner Diner (http://lisa-restaurants.blogspot.com/2010/04/cozy-corner-restaurant-chicago.html).

After my meal I was off to see the birthplace and museum of Ernest Hemingway. I dont know anything about him. I thought it may be ineteresting to learn more about him. I went to the birthplace first. The admission price includes both the birthplace and the museum. They are about two blocks away from each other. Both places closes at 5 pm. i got to the birthplace at 4pm. I was the only one on the tour. The tourguide basically told me about Ernest's life. I finished the tour at 445pm. I then rushed over to the museum. In the 15 mins i was there i just scanned thru the posters of his life.

I decided that i should catch a show or musical while I am here. The big show that is advertised is Billy Elliott. I went to the theatre to get tix. The cheapest tix was $28. The guy at the tix booth beside me took the last tix. I wandered down the street to the Goodman Theatre. The show that was playing there is A True History of the Johnstown Flood. I managed to get a tix for $23 for a mezzaine seat. I thought it was based on a true story. It was partially based on true events. The characters and their stories are fictional. The flood was a true event. It would be a parallel to a fictional story occuring during Hurricane Katrina. It was a long day for me. I just went back to my hotel after the show.


Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment