Monday, November 1, 2010

Day 321: I finally got the courage to talk to a famous person...

He's not an A list celebrity. He doesn't act or sing or dance. He's a politician. Maybe I shouldn't say that because people aren't fond of politicians these days. Not everyone knows him but he's quite famous in my eyes.

When I was in Chicago, I saw Vince Vaughn at a restaurant. I never talked to him or took a picture with him. I regretted not doing that. I felt like a chicken. But it taught me a lesson. It taught me to not be so tongue tied around famous people.

A few weeks ago I saw the Honourable Larry Campbell. It was at a Canucks home game when I was volunteering. I didn't recognize him. I said something to him about how he was chosen to pick the winning ticket. I forgot what his answer was. After I talked to him, I was talking to my fellow volunteers and they told me that he was the mayor of Vancouver and he is in the senate now.

Tonight I saw the Honourable Larry Campbell again. This time I wasn't so tongue tied. I had a conversation with him. I did say some things that made me sound stupid but that's ok, at least I talked to him. I asked him what his favourite job was. He said being a coroner. Then I remembered that Da Vinci's Inquest was based on his life. We also talked about the Canucks charities and I found out that he is on the board of the Canuck charities. Then I asked him what other charities he's involved with. He is on so many of them that I don't know where he has the time to do everything. He travels between Vancouver and Ottawa. He is a very nice man. Not everyone recognized him. There was one point where a couple were walking by and pointing at him. I think they were the ones that recognized him but was too shy to talk to him.

In case you forgot who Larry Campbell is, here is reminder: http://www.larrycampbell.ca/biography.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment