Monday, November 8, 2010

Day 325: Oprah interviews Katherine Jackson

Katherine Jackson is Michael Jackson's mother. Oprah also talked to Joe Jackson, MJ's father, and MJ's three kids. It is the first time MJ's kids did an interview since his passing last year. Last year, I couldn't stop watching all the channels showing his passing, biographies on him and his memorial service. I am sure there are many out there like me.

What is the fascination with Michael Jackson? I first heard him when I was a young girl. My dad bought his LP (do you remember what that is?). I thought he would be a singer that would be popular for a few years and disappear into the limelight. He sang and danced. I thought he was the coolest person ever. His music still plays today at various places. I think his music is classic. There still is an attempt for the largest amount of people dancing simultaneously to Thriller close to Halloween, of course. They don't call him the King of Pop for nothing.

As I got older, there seemed to be more publicity on him. It was not be for his music. It was on his plastic surgeries, his kids and his weird behaviors. When I heard about his passing, of course, I cried. I didn't even know him. I never met him before. It just seemed like a family member passed away. When Patrick Swayze passed away, I didn't shed a tear.

Before his passing, he was preparing for a concert in England. They were sold out shows. If I had the chance, I would go. Next year there is a Cirque de Soleil show coming to Vancouver which will be based on his music. The tickets went on sale a few days ago. I got tickets. This is the closest I will ever be to going to his concert. I'm really excited to go! I'm counting down the days already!

Katherine Jackson talked about how Michael was very self conscious of himself in his teenage years. He thought he was 'ugly'.A megastar still had very real issues. After his teenage years, he had some plastic surgeries done. I think plastic surgeries are a sign that you haven't accepted and appreciated what you are born with. It is a way to make you look like your 'ideal' appearance. I don't think everyone is accepting of all their features. As you grow older, you learn to accept them and maybe even use them to your full advantage. I have very full lips. My mom have always told me that it isn't considered 'pretty' or an 'ideal' set of lips. It is a very negative comment that she had instilled in my brain at a young age. I wasn't going to go and get plastic surgery on them. Angelina Jolie has very thick lips. I had to explain to my mom that having thick lips is considered pretty in this cutlure / society. Some women even have to pump injections in their lips to plump them up. So I have learned to accept my thick lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment