Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Day 322: Live by Chocolate


My 'Live by Chocolate' class was held at Eric Hamber Secondary School. I have never been here before. I should've allocated more time to get to class. It was so confusing for me. Usually the office is also the night school office and there is also a small concession stand there. I thought it would be like Tech where you walk in the main entrance and you find the office easily. I got to the first floor and I didn't see the concession stand. I saw an engineer and he told me that the office was on the second floor. After I found the office, I found my class room number. It was on the first floor! I hurried to class because I was already 10 minutes late.

When I walked in class, the teacher was already talking. He was talking about the different types of chocolate and where to get them. He was a tall, big Chinese man who has been a VSB teacher since 1981. He has a very thick Chinese accent and I had to listen carefully to what he was saying. After an hour into class, we already were making some chocolate desserts.

He showed us how to make Raspberry Chambord Ganache Gateau. He makes it seems so easy. There was two tables of 6 people. We split up into 3 groups. Each group made a different chocolate dessert. One group made the White Chocolate Cointreau Truffles. Another group made the Toblerone Chocolate Mousse. My group did the easiest dish, Swiss Chocolate Fondue. The groups who made the mousse and the truffles started first. We sat there for most of the time and watched. There was a main theme in all the desserts: it was about mostly melting the chocolate. These desserts weren't difficult to make. When we finished, we had a piece of every dessert we made. I had some mousse and didn't even finish the whole thing. Too much sugar for one night! I brought some fondue and fruits, some truffles and a piece of cake. Tonight was the first class out of two classes. The next class is next week. After 6 hours of classes, we will be able to make so many chocolate desserts.

No comments:

Post a Comment