Sunday, October 31, 2010

Day 320: Dylan and Yuri's Wedding





This weekend I was in Seattle to attend a wedding. It was a family friend's wedding. My mom is friends with the groom's parents. I have known the groom since I was a little girl. It was really nice to attend this celebration and share this special day with them. It is my first time meeting the bride and she seems like a really fun person.

My mom and I arrived on Saturday morning. It is Chinese custom to have a tea ceremony. It was at the groom's house only. The bride is Japanese and they didn't hold a tea ceremony at her place. The tea ceremony is only for family members. We just hung out till that was finished. In the afternoon we headed to the wedding venue which is an hour away from Seattle. It is called Lake Wilderness Lodge in Maple Valley (http://www.ci.maple-valley.wa.us/index.aspx?page=107).

The wedding ceremony was held upstairs. The groom's father passed away 10 months ago and there were many acknowledgments to him. They wrote their own vows. When the bride was reading her vow it had reference to the groom's father and I'm sure many people teared up. After the ceremony, everyone was directed downstairs for a cocktail hour. While everyone was downstairs, there were people upstairs rearranging the setup for the reception. Cocktail hour lasted about an hour. People were mingling and taking pictures with the bride and groom. The was an open bar and some appies.


The reception was pretty good. The buffet food was a mixture of Chinese food and Japanese food. I heard someone from the bride's side owns a Japanese restaurant and they were they one that brought the sashimi. It was a beautiful presentation of sashimi (as seen in the pictures). I have never seen sashimi at a wedding before and was pleasantly surprised. Another item that I have never had at a wedding is Peking duck. They had two servers preparing the item. The one server took the bun and put some Hoisin sauce and a piece of onion on it. The other server put the piece of duck in it. It was pretty good. They called tables in numerical order to get food from the buffet. There were 25 tables and I was table 21. By the time I went to the buffet, there was no more sashimi. I was so sad and disappointed. I was really looking forward to tasting the sashimi.


After dinner, they had some entertainment. They played the slideshow. They had speeches. The grooms cousins had a special presentation from the bride and the groom. They had a special dance number for them (video to be uploaded soon). Then the dancing started downstairs. I was upstairs at my table and I was talking to people at my table. It seemed like a wild party on the dance floor. The night ended quite early for me at about 10ish. It takes an hour to get back to Seattle and my ride needed to get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment