Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Day 226: Donating / philanthropy

I have done lots of volunteer work in my lifetime. I haven't been volunteering in the last few years. I would like to get back into it.

I have been thinking the last few nights about organizing a team to do volunteer work. I am thinking about helping kids and / or schools, feeding the homeless, volunteer at festivals, etc. I would like to contribute to society. I donated money to the Canucks charity. I know donating money is good. But maybe by giving my time it will be more valued / cherished. If I give money, I don't know if all my money will go to the cause I believe in.

Volunteering is about giving to others. I have volunteered with kids at a summer day camp and at the Boys and Girls club. It is nice to know that they look up to you as a role model and you make a difference in their lives. I volunteered with various festivals. The many festivals rely on volunteers. What I haven't done before was giving to the homeless. I am thinking of providing food for them in the Downtown Eastside. It will be totally out of my comfort zone. I have to give it more thought before it becomes reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment