Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Day 220: Underground Restaurant























My friend forwarded me links on these underground restaurants. It was an intriguing and mysterious concept. I reserved for a dinner of 10. We didn't know the address of the location until a few days prior to our reservation. We didn't know the menu until we got there. It was the chef's house on Point Grey Road. There was a chalkboard on one of his walls with the list of the dishes for the night. It was a six course meal for the night.

The first course was melon and prosciutto. The presentation was nicely done. Once the chef gave everyone the plate, the chef and sous chef went around to add the melon juice and mint oil on everyone's plate.

The second course was trio of scallops. It was scallops done three ways. It was delicious. The presentation was nice and simple.

The third course was slow cooked fennel porkbelly. The pork belly was similar to Chinese roasted pork. The amount was small but there was three more courses to come.

The fourth course was pink grapefruit sorbet with sliced candied ginger and campari. It was presented on a chinese porcelain spoon. It was nice and refreshing.

The fifth course was soy cured salmon with lime creme fraiche and asian pear. Some people didn't like the taste of the cured salmon. It was a bit different. But the portion was small enough that it was bite size. I thought it was ok. If the portion was bigger, I wouldn't have finished it.

The sixth course was cherry and chocolate filo pastry. It was the first time the chef was serving this dish. It was too hard on the outside. I generally don't like cherry flavoured anything. But this dish had such minimal cherry flavour, that it didn't bother me. There was also hazelnuts with the cherries.

Overall, it was an ok experience. It was a neat experience to try once. I think there isn't much value. The food portions were quite small. I was hungry by the time I got home. It was good service because we were a small group, they can cater to us. The atmosphere is very homey (because it is the chef's home). I wouldn't do it again for that price. If the price was a bit lower I may consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment