Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 225: Adoption

I was watching Glee tonight. (Not surprising cause it's Tuesday night.) One of the minor storylines is adoption. Quinn is giving her baby up for adoption. Originally Quinn was going to give it to Terry, Mr Shu's then wife. But Mr Shu and Terry broke up. I am not sure if Quinn will still be giving the baby to Terry anymore. Rachel was on a quest to find her mother. She found out that her mother is the coach for the competing team, Vocal Adrenaline. Her mother was paid as a surrogate and never had contact with Rachel since she was born.

I think adoption is a personal choice and it depends on your situation. If I were to carry a baby for 9 months I would build a bond with it. There is the emotional bond and the physical bond. It would be very hard for me to let it go to someone else. For the next 18 years (assuming I don't have contact with the baby till it is 18), I can't help but to think about the baby and the future of the baby. When it gets older, will it want to find me? What if the baby (now adult) doesn't want to locate me or talk to me? I would be so hurt.

I think there is a maternal instinct for most woman to want to become a mother. It may come early for some and later for others. In this generation, I think it comes later. I wanted to have kids in my 20's. Looking back I wasn't ready to have kids at all. I was too busy going out and enjoying my life. Now in my 30's I am more ready than I was when I was in my 20's. I think you can be ready if you have one already and are preparing for another one. But if it is your first baby, it's all about the trials and tribulations.

The only way I would give my kid up for adoption is if I didn't know I was pregnant until after I was 5 months and I am not ready to raise a kid. I am pretty sure I will know if I am pregnant before I am 5 months along. If I found out before 5 months and didn't want to keep it, I would have it taken care of. I don't think my parents would approve of my decision of giving it up for adoption. The concept of giving up a baby for adoption is very foreign to them. They didn't live in a society where babies were given up for adoption, maybe abandoned but not given up for adoption. They don't know anyone who gave their kids up for adoption. They are in their retirement stage. If I have any kids, I'm sure they have the time to spare to help me babysit.

No comments:

Post a Comment