Sunday, May 9, 2010

Day 217: Vancouver Sun Run


Finally! All that training for this one day. Ok, it wasn't that much of training, but it was the only thing I have trained for. Ten kilometers seemed so far fetched at first. One baby step at a time. It was one kilometer at first. Then I extended my walk / jog to 7 kilometers. My last training was walking the Sun Run Route a week prior to the Sun Run. The day I walked the Sun Run route it was sunny, clear and a bit chilly at 2:30pm. After about an hour of walking, it started showering and then just started pouring rain. I was lucky today. It was sunny and warm today.

This is my first experience with the Sun Run. My friend asked me to join. It happened to be a team with his friends. If you are on a team, it is cheaper than joining as an individual. We were on the the Emily Carr Elementary School team. We were purple runners. Runners are categorized in different colors. The faster elite runners run first then the slower walkers go after them. There were so many people. It was just a sea of people. Almost like the fireworks nights. I convinced my friend to walk the whole thing. We weren't in any rush so he agreed. When we got to English Bay there was a hot dog stand and a pit stop with water and some fruit. We stopped at the hot dog stand to get a juicy jumbo hot dog. That slowed down our time a bit. We just checked out the fruits that they had available but didn't pick any up. Even with the hot dog pit stop, we managed to finish the walk in 2.5 hours. After the walk, there were tents with many free stuff. There were line ups everywhere. The mayhem you get when you offer people free stuff. I replenished my body with some free bananas and oranges. There was a band playing to liven the spirits up. They played Black Eyed Peas 'I've got a feeling' and about half the audience started jumping up and down. I was really too tired to jump so much. I am glad it is over. I have finished my very first Vancouver Sun Run. I am not sure when and where the next run / walk will be, or if i will do another one at all.

1 comment: