Thursday, May 20, 2010

Day 222: Homemade Japadog

Living in downtown, Japadog was right around the corner within walking distance. It is there all the time, never know when it is open or when it is closed. (It would help if I checked out their website. Their hours are on there.) But I know it will be there even when it snows and rains. The stars love it when they are in town (I read the posters on the sides of the cart while I'm waiting for my food). The main cart is on Smithe and Burrard in front of the wine store at Sutton Place Hotel. During the Olympics, I had a japadog at their second location on Burrard and Pender. It was amazing, there was no line up. We got to the cart and ordered our food. While we were waiting for our food, a line up formed. With no line up it just seems so weird. Most of the time when I go to Japadog there is a line up. It's just normal to see a line up. Some people have had it before, some people are having it for the first time.

Since I moved back home (away from downtown), my encounters with Japadog has diminished. I only need half a japadog to satisfy my craving. But I can't head to downtown just to have a japadog. That would be just crazy!

I told someone about my love for japadog. He said you can just buy the toppings and make it at home. The other day I decided to make japadog at home. Japadog is the name of the Japanese style hot dog. There are options of having it with different kinds of wieners and different types of toppings. My favourite one, the classic, is the teri-mayo. It is a beef wiener and bun with seaweed, teriyaki sauce, Japanese mayo and fried onions. Seems simple enough! I went to Fujiya to get my Japanese ingredients. I got the Japanese mayo, a sauce like a sweet bbq sauce (it is used for Japanese pancakes) and the seaweed. I went to Superstore to get my wieners, buns and onions. I cooked the hot dogs, then fried the onions. Then toasted the buns. I started putting together my homemade japadog. I started to put the fried onions on my wiener. I then put the bbq sauce and the mayo then I topped it off with seaweed. It was so delicious. I had two of them. I was soooo full for the rest of the night.

http://www.japadog.com/en/

1 comment:

  1. I'm commenting as a reply to Day 219. I HAVE started writing for money (not much but it's a start). If you are interested, email me on Facebook your email address and I'll send you the link if you're interested.

    ReplyDelete