Friday, May 7, 2010

Day 216: Canucks vs Blackhawks, game 4

I didn't plan to go to tonight's game. It was a last minute decision. I planned to go to the pub with my friends in Yaletown tonight. Last night, when I was sleeping, my friend texted me to see if I wanted to go see the game tonight. Because I was sleeping, I thought I was dreaming that he texted me. I slept on it and thought about it. I was debating if I wanted to spend more money on watching a playoff game. I went to one playoff game and thought that was enough. But the Canucks were playing Chicago Blackhawks tonight. I was a temporary Hawks fan when I was in Chicago. So it was really exciting for me to watch the Canucks and the Hawks face to face. This morning I looked at my phone again to make sure that I wasn't dreaming about the tix. I texted my friend to tell him I wanted to go to the game tonight if he still had the tix. He still had the tix. I was soooo ecstatic. A great way to start my work day. I was looking forward to the game all day. After I found out I was going to the game, I had to let my friends know that I wasn't going to join them at the pub. I kinda felt like I was ditching them. But I hope they understand that going to the game is more exciting and an opportunity that I don't get very often.

It wasn't good hockey tonight. They played poorly. The referees seemed like they were on Chicago's side. The atmosphere was great at GM Place. So much excitement and energy in the building but that didn't work to help them win. Soooo many penalties againest Canucks. We all know that Canucks aren't that great at penalty killing. The Green Guys where there to intimidate the other players. They even brought a cardboard cutout of Vince Vaughn wearing a Canucks jersey. I brought my Canucks fleecy to keep me warm. When I was sitting at my seat for the first period, my fleecy was behind me against my chair. When it was intermission, I grabbed it because we were heading to the washrooms. It was kinda wet. I realized that it got wet because the guys behind me probably spilled beer on it.

I updated my facebook status saying that I was at the game. I got texts from three friends saying that they were there too. They were asking where I was sitting. For one friend, I took a picture with the friend I was with and sent it off to him. He was basically sitting across the stadium from me in a suite.

I was yelling and screaming and encouraging the Canucks to score. There was lots of towel waving. I don't know if there is much, as fans, that we can do to help them win a game. Maybe we should pray harder?

No comments:

Post a Comment