Saturday, May 22, 2010

Day 223: Valentine's Day

It just came out on DVD. It's a interesting movie. It is about many couples and how they celebrate Valentine's Day. There are many A listers in the movie. There are couples who are love birds. There are ladies who are anti-Valentines. There are 'unconventional' couples. There is a couple who broke up on Valentine's day.

I know it's May and it's three months past Valentine's Day but I'm still going to write my thoughts on it. This year's Valentine's Day was also Chinese New Year during the Olympics. I hung out with a group of friends, most of them are single. We spent our time together hanging out seeing Olympic festivities. I think Valentines Day is a commercialized Hallmark holiday. If you are in a relationship, you are expected to give your significant other presents to show your love / lust / infatuation for each other. If you don't give each other presents, does it mean you don't love / like each other? I just wish there wasn't that expectation. Maybe I can give my significant other presents on other days which may hold more meaning? I can show my love on any random day to show I care. Last year I gave my ex some chocolate, some romantic hearts with romantic messages. That relationship didn't last long. Well, all that time and effort to waste! If it was a long term relationship with someone I loved, I wouldn't think of it as such a waste of time and effort. He gave me a recipe book on street food of various countries. Yes, it's the thought that counts. But it seemed so uneven. His gift wasn't so romantic. But how do I know what he would give me? I can't take some stuff back if I think I gave him too much. Maybe we should just come to an agreement on what to give each other? Maybe just exchange cards?

No comments:

Post a Comment