Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 308: Thank you Lady Luck


Today was the big Canucks opening game. The big 40 year anniversary for the Canucks. The big highlight tonight was the Canucks naming Henrik Sedin as their team captain. It was a very celebratory occasion. Everyone was clapping and cheering.

Because it was such a big game tonight, they had many more volunteers tonight selling 50/50 tickets. There was a short meeting before we started at 6pm. The meeting was held while we were preparing our tickets. We usually get a certain amount of tickets. It usually doesn't take us that long to prepare our tickets. But today we were expected to sell way more tickets. They gave us a bunch more tickets. It took us longer to prepare the tickets. During the meeting, they did a draw for a Canucks jersey. It was all the volunteers name put in a container and drawn randomly. They picked two names. Lady Luck was on my side. They drew my name! I had to tell the staff member what size I wanted, what colour I wanted and the name of the player. I picked a small jersey in blue with Luongo's name. I was told I can pick up the jersey at the end of my shift.

During my shift, I was excited because I was looking forward to picking up my new jersey. I had to focus on selling my ticket instead of my new jersey. My location was 323 tonight. I didn't have to do the stands. It seemed like every 10 feet there was a person selling 50/50 tickets. I was by some concession stands and I sold some tickets there. After the first period, I walked around and I was selling tickets as I go. I was walking up the stairs back to my section and I sold some tickets there. My new friend and I were walking during the second period and I heard someone yell '50/50 tickets'. We turned around and there were people chasing us down to buy some tickets. Tonight's jackpot was $150,000. It was $80,000 carried over from last year and $70,000 from tonight.

It was time for us to finish up our shift. We had to submit our money and our tickets. You put the tickets in the large ziplock bag. You put the money in the small bag. Then you hang out and help rip the tickets to put in the large barrel. After you finish ripping the tickets, then you get to hand in your shirt and see if you get a ticket to watch the rest of the game. While we were ripping the tickets, there was an old man behind us. I thought he was just being nosey and just watching what we were doing. I found out that he was the one that would be picking the winning ticket. Then a fellow volunteer said that it was Larry Campbell, our previous city mayor now a senator. Wow! I felt stupid that I didn't know what our old mayor looks like. His face was so red and he was so round that I didn't recognize him.

I went to hand in my shirt. That is when you find out if there is a ticket for you.They handed me my jersey and told me tonight I didn't get a ticket. I was so sad and disappointed. My friend, who I met since my first day there, said she would rather have the jersey than watch the game tonight. I said, 'I guess so', but was still sad I didn't get a ticket. The new friend I met didn't get a ticket either. I asked him what he was going to do. We ended up watching the game on one of the TV's outside of 101. I saw Fin walking by and I got a picture with him!

No comments:

Post a Comment