Sunday, October 3, 2010

Day 304: CIBC Run for the Cure


After doing the 10K Vancouver Sun Run, I was ready for another run!

I am in charge our company Facebaook page. I was surfing Facebook one day and saw that one of our clients was running the CIBC Run for the Cure. She had breast cancer and was asking if anyone was interested in joining her in support of breast cancer. I showed my boss that posting and he suggested that we support her and form a team. He designated me as the team captain. I have never done anything like this before. I was a little bit nervous. We decided to form a team in August. To form a team, there has to be a minimum of 10 people. I managed to find enough people to form a team. It included people who worked at A&B and their significant others.

September rolled around and the run was just around the corner. I had to submit our registration as a team by mid-September to get our name on printed on our t-shirts. By the end of September, our t-shirts were printed and I picked them up and distributed them to our team members.

I didn't practice for the run. One team member had a pub crawl the night before and she wasn't going to run. We came to the conclusion that we were going to walk. Once we told our other team members that we were going to walk, everyone else decided to walk. We tried as much as we can to walk as a team together. The 5km route that we walked was a bit around the Tinseltown area, 2nd ave to Cambie Bridge back to Expo Blvd to the finish line. Most of the time we were split in two groups. Luckily one guy in the group that was walking ahead had a magenta umbrella. It was sprinkling a bit when the run started. After a few minutes, it was sprinkling a lot. We used our umbrellas. The only way to find the other group was to find the magenta umbrella. Eventually by the finish line we were all together. Some people wanted to go home right away. But I saw the team photo tent and wanted to take a team photo before we split up. It was a mementos moment because this was the first time our company did something like this since I have worked for the company.

After doing the walk, some of us went for lunch. Concord Pacific is close to Chinatown. We wanted to go somewhere close because some us were tired from walking. We originally wanted to go to Hon's. I suggested Hon's because it's relatively close, it's affordable and fast. On our way to Hon's, I asked my team mates if they wanted dim sum. They said yes. We were at the corner of Columbia and Keefer and Floata was right in front of us. There was 8 of us. We had various dumplings, BBQ pork buns / pastries, spare ribs, and deep fried squid. Chicken feet weren't too popular with them. After we stuffed our faces with dim sum, it was time to go home!

A huge thank you to my friends who donated money to breast cancer research :)

No comments:

Post a Comment