Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 306: Pictures

When our family came to Canada, my mom wanted to take pictures of us everywhere. She got us to pose in front of everything. In those days there was film cameras. You had to smile and hopefully the picture turns out. We had to be careful on how many pictures we take because it cost money to develop the film. We have tonnes of pictures in photo albums.

Thank goodness we have digital cameras! We get to pick and choose what pictures we develop. With digital cameras we can shoot away and not worry if the picture turns out or not. It's so easy to delete pictures. After someone takes a photo of me or people with me, I check to see if our eyes are closed. If someone's eyes are closed, we take that shot again. With a film camera, there is no way to see if someone looks funny or their eyes are closed. I can take hundreds of pictures and don't have to pay for developing the images. I download them into my computer and post them on online photo albums. It's easy to share my pictures with family and friends.

I am now grateful that my mom loves taking pictures. Without her pictures, I would not remember those events. Once I see the pictures, it jogs my memory of what happened in and around that age / year. Pictures capture moments. She knew that early on. She loves to travel and takes pictures. My sister is the first to get my mom's photography genes. Once she had her daughter, she wanted to capture every moment of her daughter's life. Her daughter is comfortable in front of the camera. She smiles and poses when the camera is pointed at her. Her son will smile at the camera, but not for too long. He's still young and figits.

I like looking at pictures. Whether it be old family pictures, friends wedding pictures or just friends hanging out. A picture is worth a thousand words. I know it's a cheesy saying but it's true. There is a story behind every picture. My favourite pictures are candid pictures. I have a friend who is a wedding photographer. I have seen many of his pictures. His candids are my favourite. I like it when people are natural in their pictures, not so posey. It may be action shots, but there is more of a story. There is also more emotion. Maybe I am just more of an emotional person.

No comments:

Post a Comment