Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 187 - Palm Springs to Chicago

Restaurant blog: Cheesecake Factory - http://lisa-restaurants.blogspot.com

Health and fitness blog: http://lisahealthwellness.blogspot.com

I didnt blog the last few nights because i got home really late.

Friday
There was more outlet mall shopping. We went to Ontario Mills, which is an hour away from my sister. I bought more stuff (surprise, surprise). This day we spent more time at the mall than the day before. The day before i bought some stuff at Banana Republic. This day my sister wanted to see what they had at Banana Republic. We spent at least an hour there. She tried on so many things. She did end up buying a few items there. Then we went to dinner at Cheesecake Factory (see review above). We got home at 1130pm. I then had to pack for my flight the next morning.

Saturday
I had to wake up at 7am for my flight at 1030am. The kids woke up and came to my room at that time. The Palm Springs airport is an hour away from where my sister lives. I got to the airport at 930am, just in time to check in.

The flight to Chicago was uneventful. I was sitting beside an old couple. They didnt talk to me the whole flight. When we were close to landing the old man, who i sat beside, asked if i was in school. I said 'no'. He said i looked like a sophomore in college. I said ' you mean 18 or 19 years old?' He said he thought i was 19 years old. I said 'thank you ' and i told him i wasnt 19.

Today (Sunday)
I started my day at the fitness centre (see Health and Wellness blog). After my shower i headed to the Maxwell Street Festival. I decided to go somewhere far today. It quite a distance from where i am. It was ok. Its kinda like the Vancouver Flea Market but outdoors. The weather is chilly here, just like Vancouver. I was hungry and eager to see what kind of food booths they have. They only had Mexican food; tacos, churros, etc. i wasnt feeling the mexican food.

My next destination was Chinatown. I was hoping to get some good Chinese food. I managed to find a ghetto chinese restaurant. I like ghetto restaurants cause the food is more authentic. There were lots of chinese people dining there and i knew i was in the right place. I only ate a little bit because i wanted to save my stomach for more goodies. I was craving for a bubble tea (surprise! Surprise!) i saw a bunch of restaurants selling bubble tea. I am really hesitant to go to those places cause its not their specialty and they dont usually make it that well. I finally found a bubble tea place (its like Pearl Castle). I ordered a hot mango green tea with pearls.

My hotel is a block away from the Magnificant Mile. It is like Robson street with all the clothing stores. Last time when i went to New York we stayed at a hotel far away to save money. It was a pain in the ass. It was so inconvenient. This time i decided to stay within the downtown vicinty. I didnt mind spending more money. I got a good deal online and this time im spending half the price as new york. But being so close to downtown i hear all the traffic noise; the sirens and the cars honking.

My last destination was Navy Pier. It is within walking distance so i just walked there. It is really neat there. I read the background/ history of it at the entrance. It was used for the navy at one point hence the name. Now it is used for festivals and various gatherings. Its kinda similar to the Vancouver Convention Centre. There is event space where people can rent it out for weddings and conference space. There are also vendors which sell various things. There is a childrens musuem there. The pier is now used for sightseeing boat tours. You can also rent bikes. There is a beer garden and other pubs / restaurants. There is a stained glass exhibit. It is the largest of its kind and its free. When i was there almost everything was closed already. I didnt know that until i got there but i wanted to see what it was about.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment