Monday, February 22, 2010

Day 168: Patriotism


I have never been a patriotic person. I remember going to the US and they hang American flags on their front doors. I remember thinking 'wow! they are a very patriotic country.'

It only has been since the Olympic that I realized that we (Canadians) are very patriotic. As I walk downtown there is a sea of red and white with maple leafs. There are people walking and carrying large Canadian flags. Every once in awhile a group of hooligans will break out the anthem and everyone else will join in. I have never sang O Canada so many times in such a short period of time.

Before the Olympics, I didn't have anything that said Canada. The closest I have is Vancouver Canucks gear. I have a t-shirt, 3 jerseys and a fleece jacket. For my birthday, my friend gave me the scarf that says 'Canada' on one side and checkered on the other. The more I walk downtown the less patriotic I felt. The theme of this year's Olympic is Believe. I bought a Believe red toque to keep my head warm and the famous red mittens to keep my hands warm. I'm all bundled up and ready to celebrate more Canadian victories.

No comments:

Post a Comment