Monday, February 8, 2010

Day 157: Dysfunctional Families

When someone says 'dysfunctional family', the family that comes to my mind is The Simpsons. The Simpsons is just a TV show. But living in a dysfunctional family is more common than one would think.

Each family has its own story. I knew someone who didn't talk to his cousin at the Christmas dinner. I don't know if something happened between them when they were younger. He just told me he doesn't talk to her. Why do you not talk to your own family? I know someone who didn't invite his extended family to his wedding because they are too dysfunctional. He only invited his immediate family. I am not sure about the details about why they are dysfunctional. I know someone who's cousin is pregnant with a married man's baby. That is just the tip of the iceberg of his family. I knew someone who had two weddings because the bride's parents didn't get along. One wedding was for the bride's father's side. The other wedding had the mother's side. I know someone who really doesn't get along with his sister since they were young. All these stories would make a good reality show. Who needs Jersey Shore or shows like that to entertain you when there are real stories of dysfunctional families? Maybe when it comes to your own family you don't want anyone to know..but when it comes to someone else family you want to know all about it??

I am very glad my family isn't that dysfunctional (that I know of..that's what I am going with). Maybe I am not that nosey to pry in my relatives's life to find out about all their problems and issues? My mom has taught me that family is important because you are only given one family in this lifetime. It is best to develop a good relationship with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment