Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Day 154: Pool - Lesson #1

My venture to be a better pool player. My friend and I went to play pool tonight. I learned to play when I was in grade 7. I would play with friends casually. As I got older and played more pool, I got better. But I think I plateaued at my skill level. I never went to school or anything for pool. I just learned as I played with friends.

I told my friend I want to be a better pool player. He is much better than I am. He offered to give me lessons / pointers. Today he taught me about where you hit the cue ball determines your leave for the next shot. (I don't know the technical terms for what I am writing about.)
It is good strategy to have a good leave because then you have the next shot ready. If you continually play with that strategy you will always have a shot. He also got me to practice hitting the cue ball straight. I didn't realize I wasn't hitting it straight. I kept on putting a tiny spin on it when I was trying to hit the ball straight. I was hitting the cue ball on where I thought was the middle to make it go straight, but it wasn't.

Because he is a better player, he usually wins when we play. He is a snooker player so playing 8 ball is a cinch for him. I usually lose by 3-5 balls. I won him in one game only! I was so excited that I actually won him. But maybe he let me win because I was losing so many games. I don't want him to pity me that I'm not as good as him. My goal is to win him everytime we play each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment