Monday, September 20, 2010

Day 296: Potential Volunteer opportunities

I have been looking for some volunteer opportunities for some time now. I haven't been actively looking, I think passively looking (if there is such a thing).

Tomorrow night I am going to the Union Gospel Mission's orientation. The volunteer position is serving food to the homeless in the downtown Eastside. I used to live by the downtown eastside and it was a scary place. Maybe it's not so scary anymore? Maybe you have to learn about the people who live there to be comfortable in their surroundings? A few years ago, my workplace had a group of them going to the downtown's soup kitchen. I didn't think that was practical volunteer experience. At that time, I wanted to volunteer somewhere I can gain more practical / office experience. But now I think it is a rewarding experience. I am getting older now and don't need to gain more experience. Volunteering to give food to the homeless is more about giving back to the community.



I am a Canucks fan. (In case you didn't notice my Canucks jackets, hats, jerseys, necklace and socks). A friend of mine, who is also a Canucks fan, told me about volunteering at Canucks games selling 50/50 tickets. At a Canucks game you can buy 50/50 tickets. The winner gets 50% of the money. The other 50% goes to Canucks charities. When you volunteer to sell the tickets, you are allowed to watch the game. The price of Canucks games have gone up from last year. Last year, I spent close to $100 on a game nite. It includes the ticket, maybe some mini donuts, maybe a drink or hot dog and gas / bus fare. As the price increases, the less I am able to go watch and support our Canucks. As a volunteer, I am supporting the charities and supporting the Canucks. I have sent the email to the volunteer coordinator with my contact information and availablity. I am waiting for their confirmation if I am accepted as a volunteer and what nites I will be volunteering.

1 comment:

  1. I volunteer at the union gospel mission before and i would love to volunteer for the canucks thing :D

    - vicki y

    ReplyDelete