Saturday, September 11, 2010

Day 289: I am addicted to.....


... bubble tea. I know they are about 500 calories a cup with pearls. When I'm thirsty, I am craving a bubble tea. I feel very bloated after I finish one myself. If I share one, it's ok. I have been having one an average of one every other day for the past two weeks. I detour to the nearest bubble tea place if there is one close by. I was at Metrotown the other day and I made a detour to Little Tea House. My friend lives by Highgate. Recently when I visit him, we hang out the Estea which is a few minute drive from Highgate.

At Estea they offer soya pudding with a choice of beans (red, green, or mixed) and pearls. The first time I had soya pudding with taro with half pearls and half coconut jelly. It was in a takeout cup with the sealed lid. It was layered: bottom layer was the pearls and the coconut jelly, the syrupy sugary liquid layer, then there was the soya pudding, the top layer was the chunk of taro. Taro is kinda like a potato and they just put a chunk of taro in my cup. It wasn't even in a liquid form where I can sip it with my straw. How would I get the taro out? I had to wait till I was finish the liquid and open the lid to eat the taro. The other two times I went to Estea I ordered the mixed beans with half pearls and half coconut jelly. We stayed in the restaurant so my bubble tea was served in a bowl. It was kinda weird eating bubble tea with a spoon. Not many bubble tea places offer soya pudding. Because I was at a place which offered soya pudding, I will order it.

I prefer the fruity slush flavors, like mango and papaya. I had watermelon slush for the first time the other day. It was refreshing. I tried grape slush. It wasn't very good. It tasted like a grape slurpee with pearls. I don't like the mixed fruit flavours. I tried strawberry and a bunch of other flavours together. It was just one big mush. I couldn't distinguish the different flavours. I dated a guy who would deliver me a mango slush bubble tea about once a week for a span of a few months. I guess I was a bit spoiled. Now I have to get my own bubble tea. There aren't that many bubble tea places close to my work or else I would have one every day. The closest one is the one in Tinseltown. It is kinda of a pain to go there because of the parking situation and it is upstairs in the food court. There are other bubble tea places that we know of but they don't open till about 2 pm. That's too late. Because if they opened earlier we can go get our lunch and detour to the bubble tea place. The coffee shop across the street from where I work started to offer bubble tea, but it's powdered and they don't mix it well so it's crap. In the summer time, I prefer the cold flavours. When it is cooler outside or when I need to warm up, I order the hot flavoured teas.

We were at Seattle Premium Outlets a few weeks ago. There was a small bubble tea stand. I saw all the powder flavour containers. They did offer a few fresh fruit flavours. I ordered a fresh fruit flavour. The young guy cut the fruit and put it in a Magic Bullet (http://www.buythebullet.com/). We have a Magic Bullet at home and I thought about making my own bubble tea. I think about all the work involved in making the bubble tea and that thought passed quickly.

I know it's kinda of a rip off cause I can probably get a big bucket of soya pudding for $5. I guess bubble tea is a rip off. The ingredients cost almost nothing and they jack up the prices for the customers. I think it's kinda like coffee. People are willing to spend $4-$5 on a coffee. I am willing to spend $4-$5 on a bubble tea. I think you can buy the ingredients and make it at home. It's like drinking home made coffee versus store bought coffee. It's not the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment