Sunday, September 12, 2010

Day 290: House of Wings / Museum of Vancouver



House of Wings
I started my day with lunch at the House of Wings. I was having lunch with a couple of friends. One friend wants to sell some comic books and the other friend is a comic book lover with a large collection of comics who may be able to help sell the comics. Comic books is a whole different language for me. I was happy to connect them.

I have never been to House of Wings before. It is located at Highgate Mall. It used to be Applebee's. After Applebees closed down, it was another restaurant. It has only been House of Wings for about six months. With a name like House of Wings, the wings better be good. The wings were on sale today for 37 cents each. We shared a few plates of wings. There were so many flavours to choose from. We ordered 4 plates of wings: tropical BBQ, honey garlic, unltimate pineapple and ginger sesame. There were interesting flavours such as chocolate, peanut butter and jelly and honey cinnamon. I liked the tropical BBQ and the honey garlic. The ginger sesame was too dry. I didn't like the ultimate pineapple flavour. I usually like pineapple flavoured food but not these wings. It was the cooked wing covered with a pineapple syrup.



Museum of Vancouver
I wanted to see the Fox, Fluevog and Friends exhibit at the Museum of Vancouver. While there, I noticed they were also exhibiting Home Grown. Fox, Fluevog and Friends is the history on John Fluevog, Peter Fox and Ken Rice. They are local shoe designers who became popular. They exhibit ends on September 26. Home Grown is about sustainable living which includes community gardens, composting and growing your own vegetables.

The layout of the museum is quite interesting. The museum is quite small so they didn't have a floor plan to give guests. I asked the cashier for a map but she said they don't have one. She showed me a floor plan of the museum. Once you pass the cashier the exhibits are on the right and the left. On the right is the Fox, Fluevog and Friends in the middle. The Home Grown exhibit surrounds the Fox, Fluevog and Friends exhibit. On the left is the History of Vancouver. The Fox, Fluevog and Friends exhibit is quite interesting. There are old drawings of their designs, old family pictures and, of course, the shoes. Some shoes are so unique that it would seem impractical for everyday wear. Home Grown was quite interesting. I am not about growing my own vegetables, but many people are and this exhibit shows this.

The exhibit I enjoyed the most was the History of Vancouver. There were big posters and old artifacts. There was a section on the Japanese history and the Chinese history in Vancouver. There was a section on the 50's and the 70's. We were only at the museum for little less than 2 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment