Thursday, December 30, 2010

Day 352: Quest to find Vietnamese sub

Wednesday was my girls nite out. It was an Asian theme. I decided that because I'm partially Vietnamese it would be a good idea to bring a Vietnamese dish. There was four of us. I decided on Vietnamese subs. I thought it is easily sharable. I was going to get four different flavours and cut them into four pieces. That way everyone gets to try all the flavours.

I thought it was easy. I just have to go to the store and wait a few minutes while they make my sandwiches. Well, it wasn't that easy. I went to Ba Le at Fraser and Kingsway because it was on my way home. I got in there and was deciding on which sandwiches to get. Right after I decided, the girl at the counter told me they are out of bread. I was floored. This has never happened to me before. A sandwich shop out of their essential ingredient?? I had to decide what to do because I was in a time crunch to get to my friend's house. There is another Ba Le shop in Chinatown. I got the phone number from the Fraser street location and called them. The phone kept on ringing and ringing. I thought they were just busy to pick up their phone. I decided because it wasn't that far away I would just go there. I drove by and saw their 'closed' sign. I pulled over and pulled ou my iphone and did a search for other places that would sell reasonably tasting subs. I got some ideas from a foodie forum. They listed Paris Bakery on Commercial Drive and Au Petit Cafe on Main St. I wasn't sure about the quality of sub from Paris Bakery and it was out of my way. So I didn't go there. I was on Main st already so I headed south to Au Petit Cafe. It is located at about 32nd and Main. I got a parking spot right in front of the restaurant. I peaked at their business hours sign. They are closed on Wednesdays. My last choice was Chong Lee Market on 22nd and Rupert. I have had subs there before and it's pretty good. I was thinking for some reason I couldn't get the subs there I can just get some Chinese take out. I got there and was looking at the sub menu. A lady said HI to me. I told her I wanted some subs. She said they were sold out. How can this be? Four different locations and I couldn't get any subs. It's either super busy for them because everyone wants Viet subs instead of leftover turkey or I have extremely bad luck. I guess no viet subs for us that night. I ended up getting some chow mein, chicken wings and honey garlic spare ribs.

1 comment:

  1. Go to Tung Hing Bakery at 1196 Kingsway. Best Saigon style Vietnamese subs ... very yummy! Cindy

    ReplyDelete