Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Day 346: Family Hot Pot



Tonight we had a family dinner. It was supposed to be a Christmas dinner. But we don't really celebrate Christmas and we don't eat turkey or ham. Christmas is another reason for our family to get together. We tried really hard to set a date as close to Christmas as possible. It was so difficult with so many people's schedule to work with. Tonight was the night that most of us can meet.

We have the non-traditional Christmas meal. We decide what to eat. It's not always the same meal every year. It's usually a variation of Chinese and Vietnamese food. Tonight was hot pot. There were veggies, which include bok choy and Chinese spinach. There was pork, beef, seafood, liver, tofu and tripe. There was so much food. I would put a little of each type of food in the hot pot and let it cook. A few minutes later the food was ready. We dipped it with a hoison sauce mix. My aunties mixed hoison sauce with some other sauces (I'm not sure what sauces they are). There is a system to cooking in the hot pot. I just thought I can just drop the variety of food in the pot and pick it up when it's ready. When I did that, my mom would be telling me that I did it all wrong. When the water boils, you can put in the veggies, but not with any meat. You have to take out all the veggies then put in the meat. The meat takes just a minute or two to cook. There is also vermicelli and you can eat it with the soup. After the meal, there usually is some type of fruit. Tonight it was pear and baby mandarin oranges. I love the baby mandarin oranges. It's so easy to peel and it's sweet. There was a few seeds in it, but that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment