Monday, August 16, 2010

Day 276: Latin Festival / Outdoor Movie

Sunday was a busy day for me. In the morning and early afternoon we went to the Latin Festival. In the evening was an outdoor movie.

Latin Festival
The Latin Festival was held on Sunday, August 15 at Trout Lake. It only took a small portion of the park close to Victoria Drive. We met at Broadway Station and walked to the festival. We were hungry and thirsty so we checked out the food area first. We walked back and forth several times before we decided what to get.


I wanted a drink but wanted something different. The picture above is of one of the drinks I bought. It is sangria flavoured soda. It sounded interesting. It sounded like sangria but without the alchohol. It tasted like a mixed fruit soda. It was cheap at $2 each.


This was our first treat. It looked like a apple turnover from the outside. We had to ask them what it was. The lady told us that it is a guava flavoured turnover. That sounded interesting. For $1.50, it was worth trying. It was pink inside and looked like strawberry rhubarb. It was quite tasty and really tasted like guava.


We got to the festival quite early and we ordered from one of the booths. We ordered sardines. It was bbq'ed sardines and you eat it with the bread, like a sandwich. When we ordered the sardines, their bbq wasn't up and running yet. We had to wait a really long time. The portion was supposed to be 2 sardines and 2 buns. I guess they felt bad that we were waiting for a long time, they gave us an extra piece of sardine. It tasted different than the canned sardines. I think they just put the sardines on the bbq and serve it on the bun. I was expecting the bun to have some kind of sauce to make it more tasty. But it didn't. It was just sardines and the bun. I didn't want to fill myself up with so much carbs so I didn't eat much of the bun and only picked at the sardines.

This is plantines. It is served with a coleslaw with a tomato sauce. It is plantine chips. The coleslaw is a bit different with the tomato sauce. With the tomato sauce on top, if you didn't eat the plantines quick enough they got soggy. It was different.


This was tortilla with filling inside. On this plate one tortilla was fillled with beans, pork and cheese. The other tortilla was filled with pork and cheese. The tortilla was made there. They shaped it and stuffed it then panned fried it. They were also offering tortillas which were grilled on the BBQ. It is served with the coleslaw and tomato sauce. It wasn't as tasty as I thought. It wasn't spicey, it wasn't salty, it wasn't sweet, it wasn't bitter. It was a bit bland. Thanks to the coleslaw, it tasted a bit better.

After 2 hours in scorching sun and after seeing all the merchandise, I was ready to go. I was sunburnt :(

Outdoor Movie


This is the first time I went to an outdoor movie. It was held at Swanguard Stadium. They were playing How to Train Your Dragon. I thought it was free but they were accepting donations for Kidsports in Burnaby. I would feel bad if I just walked in without donating anything. I just gave them $5. You were allowed to sit on the grass or on the bleachers. We decided to sit on the bleachers. I was worried about mosquitos and I brought some lotion and spray to deter the mosquitos from eating me alive. The movie started when it got dark about 9:30pm. It was really hard to concentrate on the movie. There were still kids running around and making noise. There were ambulance driving by. The movie didn't have good color contrast and I couldn't see part of the movie. By the end of the movie, I didn't get attacked by mosquitos and got a jist of what the movie was about.

No comments:

Post a Comment