Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Day 4: Why a bucket list?


I have mentioned my bucket list to some of my friends. Their response is 'why did you make a bucket list?' One friend actually didn't like the word 'bucket list'. He said it sounded morbid and that I was going to die soon. I can also call it '100 things to do before I die list' but that is quite a long name. I will refer to it as a 'bucket list' for easy reference. I have made a bucket list for many reasons.

Usually after break ups I feel really sad and unmotivated to do anything. I feel really sad for a few months before I can get back on my feet and start doing things again. I worked with my friend Marc Hurtubise (www.lifesuccessconsulting.ca) on some life coaching sessions a few years ago. He helped me subscribe to 'Insight of the Day', it sends me a motivational quote everyday. It has motivated / encouraged me to get back on my feet and live my best life.

My friend sent me a life expectancy calculator (http://www.sonnyradio.com/realage3.swf)(thanks Cindy!). It is more for fun than anything. But I did it and it says that I have a life expectancy of 78. With 46 years to go, what I am going to do with my life? I thought about it and I really don't want to die knowing that I didn't at least try some activities that I have always wanted to do.

One of the programs I took with Marc Hurtubise (www.lifesuccessconsulting.ca) was a Goal Achieving course. It is a program where you list your goals and work towards it. I haven't worked towards my goals since I finished the program (which was about 2 years ago) (sorry Marc). When I was in California, I brought my list of goals from the Goal Achieving program to review my goals. I thought about some reasons why I haven't worked on my goals. I'm full of excuses. The excuses are no money, no time, no one to go with, too young, too old, too hard to accomplish, etc. Now it's time to put all those excuses to rest. I have some money. I will make time for things on my list. I will do some activities by myself if no one wants to do them with me. I am not too old or too young to do anything! NO MORE EXCUSES!!!!!!!

So with 46 years to go with no more excuses and with motivational quotes to keep me going, I'm off to conquer my bucket list :)

10 things from my list (in no particular order):

1. Learn to swim
2. Learn to do aqua fit
3. Excel at rollerblading
4. Run the Vancouver Sun Run
5. Learn to play golf
6. Learn to ski
7. Learn to snowboard
8. Go horseback riding
9. Learn to play tennis
10. donate my hair to cancer / shave/cut it off to raise money for cancer
11. Go to Tofino
12.Go paragliding

No comments:

Post a Comment