Monday, July 27, 2009

Day 2: Mandarin lessons and school

My parents know three languages fluently: Cantonese, Mandarin and Vietnamese. I can understand Cantonese but dont speak it that well. I can speak and understand Vietnamese. I can't read or write Cantonese or Vietnamese. I think Mandarin is a good language to learn. Hopefully Mandarin will be able to open more doors and help me with my future endeavours (not sure what they are yet). I am taking beginner Mandarin classes at night school. It's tough. I didn't realize how hard it is learning a new language at such a late age. There are a few people in my class who are about 15 years older than myself. I really admire them because it shows me that no matter what age you are you can accomplish anything. It really inspires me to finish off my bucket list no matter what age I am.

I think going to night school is difficult, I don't know if I would be able to finish my BBA (Bachelors of Business Admin) degree. I started it in 2005. I took 2 out of 20 courses. Then I decided it wasn't something I wanted to finish at that time in my life. I have been thinking about going back to finish my degree. I am not sure if I want to pursue it part time or full time. If I pursue it part time, it will take me a really long time. If I pursue it full time, I don't know if I will be able to work. That means I will have to focus on my schooling for 2 years straight. When I finish my schooling, will I be able to find a job that pays me more than what I make now? I am going to talk to a counsellor / adviser on Thursday and see what my options are. Maybe I waited too long and they don't like students that come back after leaving them for 4 years. Maybe I should've have waited, tuition was cheaper back then.

I didn't have too much of a sense of direction back then. I think since I made my bucket list I have more of a sense of direction. I am more positive, more energetic and more focused. It gives me a sense of accomplishment everytime I cross an item off the list.

Ok...time for bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment