Sunday, July 25, 2010

Day 263: Listen Mr Thief I'm Not Scared of You!

This break in has made me more aware. I am now aware of how many people care about me. They have given some good advice to prevent future break - ins.


Here are my replies to comments for me:


Franklin Lung-Pham As your unofficial "stalker", I want to inform to you that there is a new Methadone Clinic / Pharmacy that has opened on Kingsway by Slocan. Apparantly this "pharmacy" closes by 1pm. Their stock is behind the counter, and the guys offer free Rice Krispy squares as well as hot chocolate. Supposition is that there is more deals behind the doors.

- It doesn't make me feel better that there is a 'pharmacy' so close to my house. It makes me more nervous. I have to take extra precautions since there are more druggies close by.

Randy Lee you should report it anyways because they might recover it and return it to you in the maybe distant future but at the very least they will have a record of it

- I did call the police the next night on Friday night. They were too busy to come on Friday night so they came on Saturday night. I guess being a pack rat came in handy. I had the boxes for the items which were stolen (I had 2 boxes out of the three items which were stolen). The boxes had the model number and the serial number of the items. I did get the model and serial number of the external hard drive that was stolen.

Les Leep How did they break in? Was the door jimmied or a window was open? Prevention is your priority now that they know they can get in. Also, you should report it especially if you have any insurance claims.

- I am 100% sure how they broke in. I was sure I locked the door the night before. But my dad and the police officer thinks I didn't lock the door.
- I didn't report it to the insurance company because my dad says our deductible will be about $1000. The value of the stolen items is about $700 (new). It is not worth spending the deductible if we don't get all that money back.

Antun Zirdum Lisa, You should have an alarm set up.
It's not the thieving, but for the piece of mind when you are at home.


- I do have an alarm system. But I always think I am safe because it's my home. I take it for granted. I didn't think to arm it.

Alvin Yip commented on your link:
"Sorry to hear about that... I've been broken into a whole bunch of times myself.
You should still report it and file a claim to try to get your stuff replaced.
That what insurance is for.
Most likely the culprit will never be found, but
you've bought insurance for this type of thing.
And yeah. break-ins don't look
like they do in the movies anymore. The people that do it are very organized
and probably don't mess up you place so that they'll buy themselves as much
time as possible.
If you have anymore questions let me know."

- We got broken into a few times in our old house. It was the typical robbery
where things where flipped upside down.
- This was such a 'clean' robbery that I didn't even notice I was robbed until
I was looking for my digital camera and couldn't find it. I didn't walk into
my suite and noticed I was robbed. All my stuff was in it's place except for
the stuff that was stolen.

Denny Ko commented on your link:
1) dad saw your door unlocked - and didn't lock it?
is your replacement lock one which locks automatically when closed?
2) good on catching your pattern - also take a hard look at your
blog and see what information is being revealed there as well.
3) nothing personal on that laptop? no resume, no cached
browser passwords to banking sites, nothing?"
- 1 - My dad saw the door unlocked after I told him I was robbed. Yes, he did lock it after I told him. That's why he thinks I forgot to lock my door the night before. My parents don't usually go down to my suite that's why they didn't notice my stuff was missing before I got home. My replacement lock is another bolt lock. I think I should add some more chain / link locks.

2 - good idea about looking into my blog. I don't think I put anything personal on there but I will double check.

3 - In that case I do have some personal information there. I do have an updated version of my resume. There may be cached browser passwords. There was my friend's external hard drive that was also stolen. He had real personal information like his credit card number, SIN number, and drivers license number.

Carlos Lau commented on your link:

"Sorry to hear that Lisa. Several units in my building have been robbed over
the past year and I know much it sucks. Definitely, you should report it to
the police even if they can't do anything now, if they have records of multiple
houses being hit around your area, they could increase patrol around the
area. You should call your insurance company as well, they can tell you
if it's even worth making a claim.

Two things would have helped...
1) A monitored alarm system, you can still arm it with people in the house
it just disables the internal motion sensor.
2) Get yourself a dog. Thieves usually don't enter houses with a dog barking
inside."
-my cousin and her daughter were home at the time of the robbery
- the police officer said the thief was here for a short time and was probably scared off maybe because they heard a noise
- i don't mind dogs. my mom doesn't like dogs too much.

Norman Davies commented on your link:
"Sorry to hear this. Get your locks rekeyed right away just in case that
is how they got in. I know a man who owns a lock company and he told me
that with practice a normal deadbolt can be opened in 15 seconds. It happens all
the time - which is why insurance rates have gone so high. An alarm system helps! "
- I did get the lock replaced the next day.
- It's really scary to know that people can pick deadbolts in 15 seconds.
I guess you can call that a 'special skill'.

To sum up all their advice:
- change my lock
- get a monitered security system and use it
- use timers (they turn electronics on and off at certain times) when I am not home
- get a dog
- report the incident to the police and the insurance company
- be careful because they may be back in a few months to take the new replacements electronics

No comments:

Post a Comment